Sunday, January 29, 2012

Organizations

Since last week I was able to email and receive emails from a couple of connections I've made and in so doing have accumulated a list of about fifty different international organizations that have locations in many of the countries I will be visiting and as far as I can tell as I have briefly visited various of the websites the majority of them do have volunteer opportunities in things ranging from construction to taking care of orphans. I, of course, will be happy to do whatever they need me to do for as long as I deem sufficient in each of the locations. My next step will be to contact some of these organizations personally, preferably by phone and find out which ones are okay with someone just showing up without an exact set time of arrival. I certainly have a lot of locations to contact, hopefully I can find at least one per country. If I cannot find organizations to work with specifically then I will at the very least find people I can help in some way, even if that means just talking to someone in need. Unfortunately I won't have the funds to just be giving people money or buying food for people, but I'll figure something out. I have also had another idea presented to me by one of my professors who has been involved in a lot of field research in the field of zoology. If I can, I will make some contacts with scientists that are working in those areas that may need a hand in the field and offer my services. Needless to say I have a lot to do and a lot of people to contact. Sadly though, the next two weeks are riddled with various tests on top of the extensive reading assignments and homework in my classes. This will make it difficult to accomplish much else. However, if I just keep in mind the message President Thomas S. Monson has given in the Jan. edition of the Ensign magazine when he spoke on the ABCs of living an abundant life. A stands for attitude. Having the right attitude with the given circumstances in which I find myself can make all the difference, "We can't direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.". I can't control my circumstances, but I certainly can control how I react to them. The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our disposition and not our circumstances. B stands for believe. Thomas Fuller said, "He does not believe that does not live according to his belief." Live what you believe and you may find that you believe in yourself. People will try to bring you down as they have with me by saying, "You can't do this." or You're not good enough." or even "It's too dangerous, you shouldn't try." their intentions may be pure or they may stem from jealousy or some other source and it really doesn't matter. What matters is that you stand by what you believe, especially if that belief is in yourself. If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. The C stands for courage. I know that if I can just have the courage, God will provide me with the strength. Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.". I have always defined courage not as being fearless, but rather by pressing forward even in the face of your greatest fears. Pres. Monson said, "Courage is required to make an initial thrust towards one's coveted goal, but even greater courage is called for when one stumbles and must make a second effort to achieve...Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, 'I'll try again tomorrow'". This combination of ABCs is infallible for accomplishing anything, but most importantly for pushing through our everyday challenges and trials which can often seem more daunting than an apparently insurmountable mountain. With these always in mind we can pursue our dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment